Or applicants can download an application here and follow the instruction in the PDF. Include three links or samples of professionally published cartoons. Our board will review your application and notify you if accepted. We will contact you to collect membership dues.
Have the following ready:
- A verified email address
- Links to your online media or newspaper’s site
- 3 samples of work (online or uploaded)
Membership is determined by a majority vote of the AAEC Board of Directors, which is composed of Regular member cartoonists elected annually to the position.
The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists has five categories of membership for those looking to join:
- Regular — Regular membership is open to professional cartoonists who publish editorial or political cartoons that appear on a regular basis in any regularly updated, recognized forum (including newspapers, magazines, and online news outlets), and are citizens or legal residents of the United States, Canada or Mexico. Regular dues: $150
- Retired — To be eligible for Retired membership, an editorial cartoonist must be a legal resident or citizen of the United States, Canada or Mexico, and must be retired from publishing editorial cartoons that appeared on a regular basis in any regularly updated, recognized forum. Retired dues: $60
Both Regular and Retired members are eligible to vote in membership meetings and in elections, and run for office.
- Student — Any student enrolled at a college or university in the United States, Canada or
Mexico who produces editorial cartoons on a regular basis for a regular college newspaper may
be eligible for Student membership. Student dues: $50
- Associate — Any citizen or resident of the United States, Canada or Mexico who is not a cartoonist but has a professional interest in the field of editorial cartooning may be eligible for Associate Membership. This would include publishers, editors, journalists, critics, attorneys, historians, etc. Associate dues: $150
- International Associate — Any person or cartoonist of any citizenship or nationality outside of North America with a professional interest in editorial cartooning who does not meet the qualifications of Regular or Associate membership, may be eligible for International Associate membership. International Associate dues: $50
Mail in Membership Application
To apply for membership in the AAEC, please download the form below and mail or email us the completed application and a link to your publication or a website showing your current work so we can verify actual publication of your cartoons (you can also submit three tearsheets or other reproductions). Even in the age of the Internet, please allow at least 6-8 weeks for an answer.
(Former members looking to rejoin will still have to go through a review process, but turnaround time will be quicker for those whose information is still in the system.)
Print and Mail to:
The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists
PO Box 160314, Sacramento, CA 95816
Or Email to:
EditorialCartoonists @ gmail.com
Subject Line: Membership Application
Applications will be reviewed by the AAEC Board of Directors and upon their approval you will become a member. Members will receive a membership directory and the Notebook, and may vote during the annual business meeting (Associate and Student memberships do not include voting privileges).